Xiaomi Mi 9 is the flagship device of the Chinese smartphone maker. The successor of Mi 8 carries high-end specifications and features. Due to immense popularity, third-party developers have developed various new MODs, themes and custom ROMs for the device. Xiaomi Mi 9 recently attained the root access via TWRP recovery. In this guide, we will let you know the procedure to unlock bootloader on Xiaomi Mi 9.
Xiaomi Mi 9 comes equipped with a 6.39-inch display having a resolution of 1080 x 2340 pixels. It is powered by Qualcomm Snapdragon 855 SoC coupled with 6GB RAM and 128 GB internal storage. In optics, Xiaomi added a triple rear camera module comprising of a 48-megapixel primary camera, a 12-megapixel sensor, and another 16-megapixel camera. There’s a 20-megapixel camera on the front for selfies. It runs on MIUI 10 based Android 9.0 Pie. The dual-SIM smartphone offers Wi-Fi 802.11 a/b/g/n/ac, GPS, Bluetooth v5.00, NFC, USB Type-C, 3G, and 4G support.
Unlocking the bootloader is a significant task on any Android smartphone before customizing the firmware and rooting it. Xiaomi Mi 9 also comes with a locked bootloader and users have to unlock it, before modifying the system with new MODs. Unlocking the bootloader is a part of the rooting process. Users need to unlock the bootloader, then install the TWRP using fastboot and then root the device using Magisk or SuperSu.
Note: we are not responsible for any damage to smartphone and data while unlocking the bootloader. The process will void your warranty.
- Backup important data on your Xiaomi Mi 9.
- Maintain a 50-60% battery on the device.
- Carefully follow and execute the commands below.
Steps to Unlock Bootloader on Xiaomi Mi 9
Unlocking the bootloader is the first and the foremost step in attaining the root access on any device. Today, we will unlock the bootloader of Mi 9. Follow the guide carefully:
- Extract/Install the Google ADB and Fastboot Tools on the PC.
- Install the Xiaomi USB drivers on the PC.
- Enable Developer Option by tapping the Settings > About Phone > MIUI version 7 times.
- Now enable the USB Debugging and the OEM Unlock option by heading to the Settings > Developer Options. See: mi enable debugging mode
- Now login to your Mi account by heading to the Settings > Mi account > Mi Cloud > Enable Sync and Find Device. (If other devices are in sync with the same account, we suggest to disable Sync on them temporarily.)
- Download and Extract the Mi Flash Unlock tool on the PC.
- Upon extracting, open MiFlashUnlock.exe file from the folder and click Agree on the disclaimer page. mi unlock tool setup
- Enter the login details of the same Mi account you logged-in on the Mi 9.
- Now boot the device into the Fastboot/Bootloader mode by pressing and holding the volume keys + Power key for about 10 seconds. See: mi fastboot mode
- After booting into fastboot mode, now connect it to your PC via the USB cable.
- The Mi Flash Tool will show the Mi device as successfully connected.
- Once connected, then click on the Unlock button. See: mi unlock tool
- The unlocking process will start, and once again press Unlock anyway button on the following popup.
- Sometimes Xiaomi will make you wait for 48-72 hours to unlock a phone when it is at 90%. Otherwise, it will complete to 100%, and you will get ‘Unlocked Successfully’ notification. (If Xiaomi bars your device under the waiting window, then you have to repeat the process from step 10.)
- Reboot your device after the process is completed.
If you get into any problem, let us know via comments below. We hope you have successfully unlocked the bootloader of Xiaomi Mi 9.